In 1219 a Thursday market was established in Ampthill. A Royal Charter was granted by King Henry III. This was renewed in 1242, and the Thursday market has continued right through history to the present day.
This weekly Charter Market takes place Every Thursday in the Town Centre Car Park, Church Street. From 8.30am until 2.00pm
The Market offers a variety of produce and goods, some examples listed here:-
- A range of fresh fruit and vegetables, eggs, pickling vinegar & seasonal produce (Contact: 07771 801044 - Mark Sayward - if you would like to place an order ready for collection from the market)
- Keith's Fresh Grimsby Fish, including shellfish - orders taken.
- Ampthill W.I. Country Market's home-baked goods such as cakes, pies, quiches, biscuits, preserves, pickles, seasonal produce & crafts - woven scarves, hats, bedding plants, fruit - orders taken.
- Quality hand crafted and gem set silver jewellery including necklaces, earrings, bracelets and watches. Also scarves and accessories.
- Isle of Cheese - a wonderful selection of fresh Continental cheeses, mainly from Italy, but also varieties from France and Holland.
- Household Wares (i.e. kitchen foil, cling film, kitchen rolls, toilet rolls, mops, buckets, brooms, bleach, disinfectant, washing up liquid, tissues, air fresheners, polish, toiletries, batteries, candles, lighters, dishcloths, tea towels, bin liners, food covers, etc - all your household essentials!)
- New stall - Home made cupcakes, bric-a-brac and painted furniture from Antiquitea.
- Cards for all occasions, wrapping paper, gift tags, gift bags, party banners, balloons, party ware, diaries and calendars.
- Watch batteries supplied and fitted at the card stall.
- Wild bird seed & nuts, pet foods & treats, straw, hay, sawdust and pet accessories such as bowls, leads, toys etc. (Orders taken.)
- Extensive range of seasonal shrubs, plants, trees, bulbs & herbs. Enquiries and orders taken. Christmas trees available from December.
- A large stall of second hand books, toys, videos, clothes, linen, bags, hats, china, jewellery, glassware & bric-a-brac by Keech Hospice Care (Pasque Hospice) - new items every week!
- Bicycles for children & adults (inc. accessories & repairs) Orders taken.
- new stall - Childrens' PJs, T-Shirts, pants and socks, all new at very keen prices - Lynne Morrison
- Footwear including men's and ladies slippers and shoes.
- Confectionery, biscuits, cakes, crisps, snacks, soft drinks, tea, coffee, dried fruit and seasonal novelties.
If you would like to become a Charter Market Trader contact Vicki Francis at the Town Council on 01525 844173.
|Thursday||08:30 AM - 02:00 PM|
No testimonials yet.
Add a testimonial
No events yet.